Wisconsin Call Sign History (2023)

History of Wisconsin AM stations

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

This list is just a beginning. I know I have a lot of work to do on it, but I thought I wouldput it up for people to look at and help with any corrections. If you see something that is a-miss, PLEASEemail me at [emailprotected].

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

Station in RED are stillon the air.

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

9XM Madison ??? Predecessor to WHA

KGIE Milwaukee 1500 Listed as a temporary license.Wisconsin Radio Trade Association, "temp 10/2/28 to 10/7/28"

KFIZ Fond du Lac 1100 Licensed July 6,1923. Started in May 1922, stationoperated with 100 watts in its earlier days and was owned by Daily Commonwealth& Oscar A. Huelsman. Reporter Printing Co. was licensee in themid-thirties. KFIZ Broadcasting Co., acquired station in May 1946 and operatedit with 250 watts on 1450 kc. It is nowrunning at 1kW

KFIZ Fond du Lac 1120 Moved here in 1928

KFIZ Fond du Lac 1420 Moved here in 1930. 1934 lists KFIZ as running 100 watts andshared time. Presumably with WHFC, WKBIand WEHS all of Cicero, IL.. Studio andtransmitter were at 18 West First Street.

KFIZ Fonddu Lac 1450 Moved to this frequency on or about 1942. Present dial location of station.

KXTP Superior 970 x-WAAX Presently “Radio Disney”

WAAK Milwaukee833 Milwaukee’s first radio station,licensed to Gimbel Brothers, licensed April 13, 1922. 100watts to a 40’ antenna.Lasted about a year. The firstofficial broadcast was 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 26, 1922.

WAAKMilwaukee 1070 Moved from 833during 1923

WAAXSuperior 970

WABN LaCrosse 1280 Licensed June 1923. Ownedby Waldo C. Grover.

WABN LaCrosse 1230 Moved here in 1925 500 watts.

WAGO Oshkosh690 Now WVCY-AM

WAIZAppleton 1320 Calls stood for Appleton Irving Zuelke.

WAPLAppleton 1570 Now WRJQ

WAQE Rice Lake 1090 x-WMYM “Classic Country10-90”

WARPMilwaukee 1340 Now WJYI. Ran avery free form rock format for a while.Sounded like a college station.

WATK Antigo 900 Started in 1947 with 250 wattsdaytime only by Antigo Broadcasting.Classic C&W “AM 900”

WATW Ashland 1400 Started in 1940 with 250 wattsby Upper Michigan-Wisconsin Broadcasting…. The same company that owned WJMSIronwood, MI. Transmitter located atSouth Ellis Street. Nostalgia “Memories1400”

WAUK Waukesha 1510 Used to be country. Now “Sports Radio 15-10” ESPN Radio.Broadcasts in stereo. x-WAUX

WAUXWaukesha 1510 Started in 1946 byWaukesha Broadcasting with 250 watts daytime only. Transmitter was on Orchard Lane and studios were at 319 West MainStreet. Presently WAUK

WAUX LakeGeneva 1550 Used to be affiliated withWAUK 1510 and know as the Sports Radio Double Play

WAWA WestAllis 1590 Deleted Used to be R&Bfrom 4 towers near the UPS station in Elm Grove. Tower bases are still there.

WAYYChippewa Falls 1150 Now WEAQ

WBAY GreenBay 1360 Started in 1925 and owned byWHBY, Inc. Ran 5000 watts. Studio was in the Bellin Building. Now WGEE

WBCSMilwaukee 1340 Simulcast 102.9WBCS when it was country. PresentlyWJYI. Ex-WEMP, WRIT, WLZR, WARP, WMKE.

WBELBeloit 1380 Started in 1948with 1000 watts daytime only. Studioswere at 335 East Grand Avenue, and the transmitter was at 900 East ElmwoodAvenue. Moved City of License to SouthBeloit, IL to upgrade signal.

WBEV Beaver Dam 1430 Adult Contemporary Frequency was originally in Milwaukee asWEXT.

WBIZ Eau Claire 1400 Started in 1947 with250 watts. Studio and transmitter wereat 609 Cameron. Owners were WBIZ,Inc. Sport/Talk

WBJX Racine 1460 x-WRAC, WRKR, WHBT, WWEG, WEGS.Spanish

WBKV West Bend 1470 Started in 1950 with 500 watts daytime only. Owners in 1950 were West Bend Broadcasting,Inc. Classic C&W

WBOOBaraboo 740 Became WRPQ

WCAYMilwaukee 833 May 15, 1922 Ownedby the Kesselman O'Driscoll Co.

WCAYMilwaukee 1150

WCAYMilwaukee 1130 Owned by Milwaukee Civic Broadcasting. 250 watts.This eventually became WTMJ.

WCCN Neillsville 1370 Studios are in the Wisconsin Worlds Fairbuilding from 1966. Nostalgia

WCJLMarinette 1300 deleted

WCKKOshkosh 690 Known as Cake Radiowhen it was NOS. Now WVCY-AM.

WCLB Sheboygan 950 x- WCNZ, WKTS Club 9-50Nostalgia

WCLO CampLake 1320 Licensed August 4, 1925.Calls stood for Camp Lake Oaks. Owned by C. E. Whitmore. Ran 50 watts.

WCLOKenosha 1200 Change of Owners, City of License and frequency in1930. Owners now WCLO RadioCorporation. 1934 lists WCLO as 100watts unlimited schedule.

WCLO Janesville 1230 1942 lists WCLO with achange of City of License and Frequency.Owners were Southern Wisconsin Radio, Inc.. Studio was at 200 East Milwaukee Street and the transmitter isstill at 1436 South Oakhill Avenue.Present day location of WCLO.

WCOW Sparta1290 Now WKLJ

WCQLSussex 1370 Changed calls to WKSH.

WCWC Ripon1600 Now WRPN

WCNZ Sheboygan950 Now WCLB

WCSW Shell Lake 940 “AM 9-40” Nostalgia

WCUBManitowoc 980 x-WWOC

WCUB Two Rivers 980 x-WWOC, WCUB Manitowoc“Cub Radio” Country

WDBPSuperior 1150 Licensed May 1924.Run by Superior State Normal School.50 watts.

WDEYHudson 740 Now WMIN

WDGYHudson 630 Heritage calls takenfrom 1130 in Minneapolis. PresentlySpanish “Radio Rey”

WDLB Marshfield 1450 Started in 1946 by Dairyland’s Broadcastingservice, Inc. Ran 250 watts from atransmitter at 1710 North Central Avenue.Present format is Oldies.

WDLSWisconsin Dells 900 Now WIBU

WDSM Superior 1230 Started in 1939 with 250 watts.Stuidios were in the Spalding Hotel in Duluth with the transmitter on ConnersPoint. Owned by Ridon, Inc.. Eventuallymoved to 710.

WDUZ Green Bay1400 Started in 1947 by Green BayBroadcasting, Inc. Studio was in theNicolet Building, transmitter Sports “14 the Fan”

WDVM Eau Claire 1050 x-WRFW, WEIO, WISM, WOKLReligion

WEAQ Chippewa Falls 1150 x-WAYY Nostalgia

WEAUEau Claire 790 Started in 1937 with 5000 watts. Studios were at 203 ½ South Barstow. Owned by Central Broadcasting Company. Used the slogan “The Heart of the CornBelt”.

WEBC Superior1240 Licensed June 27, 1924 Owned byWalter C. Bridges. 10 watts. Upgraded to 100 watts in 1925. Upgraded to 250 watts in 1927. In 1928 new owners were Head of the LakesBroadcasting Co..

WEBCSuperior 1290 Moved here in 1930.Used the slogan “Head of the Great Water Way”. 1934 lists WEBC as running 2500 watts day and 1000 watts night.

WEBWBeloit 1120 Licensed October 9, 1924 ran 500 watts. Calls changed to WISJ eventually. Run by Beloit College.

WEBWBeloit 1160 Moved here in 1928.

WEGSRacine 1460 Calls did not lastlong, flipped to WWEG as WEGS sounded pretty close to then country WBCS. Now WBJX

WEIOEau Claire 1050 Now WDVM

WELFTomahawk 810 Now WJJQ

WEKZ Monroe 1260 Country and some Swissprogramming. Studios are in a Swisschalet.

WEMPMilwaukee 1340 Started in 1935by the Milwaukee Broadcasting Company.Calls stood for the EMPire building, which was where the studios werelocated early in the stations life.Studio address moved to 5407 West Martin (Martin was listed. Either the name of the street change or thisis a typo. Street name is McKinley).

WEMP Milwaukee 1250 Used to battle it out with WOKY for top-40listeners in the 70’s. The MilwaukeeBraves were broadcast on WEMP. In 1963seven towers were taken down and 5 new taller towers were put up. Changed over to Oldies (Sheeesh I missthem!!). Now is religion. Used to have a web site saying the RugRatswere evil (go figure!)

WERL Eagle River 950 Nostalgia

WERUSun Prairie 1190 Now WNWC

WEVR River Falls 1550 Adult Contemporary

WEXTMilwaukee 1430 Started in 1947.Eventually became WOKY 920.Frequency moved to WBEV Beaver Dam.Transmitter location was 2501 South 43rd Street. Studios were downtown. Last day was September 4th, 1950when WOKY came on air on 920.

WFAC Superior 833 Owned by the Superior Radio Co.

WFAW FortAtkinson 940 Talk, Adult Contemporary

WFAX Superior?? Licensed June 8, 1922

WFBZMinoqua 1570 Now WLKD

WFCL Clintonville 1380 Nostalgia. Used tobe country.

WFHRWisconsin Rapids 1340Established in 1940. 1950 listedat 250 watts with a transmitter at 1500 Bonow Avenue. Owner was William F. Huffman Radio, Inc.. Eventually moved to the present location of1320.

WFHR Wisconsin Rapids 1320 Talk

WFOXMilwaukee 860 Started in1946 by the Wisconsin BroadcastingSystem. Studio and transmitter werelisted as 739 North Broadway. Also usedto have a tower located at 205 East Wisconsin Ave on a bank building. Now WNOV.

WGAGMilwaukee 833 Licensed June 2,1922 Shown as temporary station for theWisconsin Radio Show. Listed SpearmanLewis, Mgr Director, and the location as the Plankington Hotel.

WGAYMadison 833 Licensed June 28, 1922Owned by the North Western Radio Co.

WGBQMenomonee 1280 Licensed January 1925.Sequential call sign. Ran 100watts.

WGBRMarshfield 1310 Licensed February 1925.Sequential call. Ran 50watts. Owned by George S. Ives. Listed in 1926 as 10 watts.

WGEE Green Bay x-WBAY, WTAQ Used to be country. New Talk now.

WGEZ Beloit 1490 Started in 1948 with a whopping 100 watts. Studios were at the Hotel Hilton. Presently Oldies.

WGLBPort Washington 1560 Calls stoodfor “Great Lakes Broadcasting” who were the original owners. Now WGLB Elm Grove

WGLB Elm Grove 1560 Upgrade daytime onlysignal to unlimited with move to Elm Grove area. Black Gospel

WGLR Lancaster 1280 Country//WGLR-FM x-Oldies

WGNWSussex 1370 Calls stood for“Good NeWs Radio”. Changed to WKSH

WGSCKaukauna 1050 Now WJOK

WGWBMilwaukee 1370 Licensed October 1926. Ran 500 watts and was owned byRadiocast Corporation of Wisconsin.

WGWBMilwaukee 110 Moved here in 1928 with new owners listed as the EveningWisconsin Co.

WGZSWaupun 1170 Was religion “Jesusor “GeeZuS” Now WMRH

WHAMadison 833 Licensed October 1924.Was actually authorized to use two frequencies 833, and 619. 833 being the “Entertainment” frequency and619 was the “Weather and Market News” frequency. Under the supervision of the late Professor Earle M. Terry, theU. of Wisconsin started 9XM in 1917. The station was operating on 485 meterswith 500 watts in 1921. WHA supplanted 9XM on Jan. 13, 1922, and subsequentfrequency and power changes have brought the station to the present 5 kw on 970kc. The outlet has operated from the same location under the same licenseesince its inception.

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

Earle Melvin Terry helped found 9XM Madison, Wis., now WHA,still calling itself 'the nation's oldest broadcast station.' Earle Terry, aprofessor of physics at the University of Wisconsin, inspired C. J. Jansky Jr.,a student, to design and construct three-element power vacuum tubes to be usedin an already established experimental radio-telegraph station (started in 1914with 2000 watts of power on 475 meters), in operation in Wisconsin's oldScience Hall and licensed under the call letters 9XM. The station achieved itsfirst transmissions of voice and music in 1917 under the direction of ProfessorTerry and with the devoted efforts of such university students as Mr. Jansky,Malcolm Hanson and Grover Greenslade. On Jan. 3, 1919, daily radio-telephonebroadcasts of weather reports were started. C. M. Jansky Jr., the son of aprofessor of electrical engineering at the University of Wisconsin, went on tobecome an international authority on radio engineering and still is associatedwith Jansky and Bailey Inc., Washington, consulting engineers. Malcolm Hanson,another of Professor Terry's precocious students, was later chief radiooperator on Admiral Richard E. Byrd's first expedition of Antarctica. ProfessorTerry died May 1, 1929, less than four months beyond his 50th birthday.

WHAMadison 560 Moved here in 1925with 750 watts.

WHAMadison 940 Moved here in 1927 with 750 watts. Moved back here in 1920.

WHAMadison 900 Moved here in 1928.

WHAMadison 940 Moved here around 1934.1000 watts daytime only.

WHAMadison 970 Moved here on or before 1942.

WHADMilwaukee 833 Licensed 30, 1922 Call was sequential, no meaning behindit. Run by Marquette University. Underearly Federal Radio Commission, power was increased to 250 watts and time wasshared with WISN, Newspaper station. In 1930 WISN increased power to 1 kW andcontinued to share time with WHAD until 1934, when WISN purchased the WHADplant and facilities.

WHADMilwaukee 1070 Appears to haveshared time with WAAK on this frequency.Ran 100 watts. Upgraded to 500watts in 1926.

WHADMilwaukee 1090 Moved here in 1925 with 500 watts.

WHAD Milwaukee 1110 Moved here in 1928. Lookslike it shared time with WGWB.

WHAD Milwaukee1120 Moved here n 1930 with WISN. 1934lists WHAD as 250 watts with Shared Time with WISN.

WHBBStevens Point 1250 LicensedJanuary 1925. Sequential call sign. Ran50 watts.

WHBLSheboygan 1470 Licensed March 5, 1925.Calls and station came from Logansport, IN and showed up in Wisconsin in1929. Owners were Press Publishing Co.& C. L. Carrell.

WHBL Sheboygan 1410 Moved here in 1930. 1934 lists WHBL as running 500 watts andshared time with WROK Rockford, IL..

WHBL Sheboygan 1330 1942 lists WHBL changedfrequency here with 1000 watts day and 250 watts night. Studios were listed as being in the PressBuilding. Present dial location ofstation. Talk Sports.

WHBT Racine1460 Now WBJX

WHBYWest De Pere 1200 Licensed March 28, 1925. Owned by St Norbert’s College.Ran 50 watts. Moved to Appleton.

WHBYGreen Bay 1200 City of License changed to Green Bay in 1931. 1934 lists WHBY as 100 watts unlimitedtime. And the owner as WHBY, Inc..

WHBYAppleton 1230 Listed in 1942, but started in 1924 in Green Bay. Ran 250 watts from 600 South Lawe Street.

WHBY Kimberly 1150 WHBY bought out WYNEAppleton, which as a daytimer running 1kW.WHBY upgraded the facility to 5kW U4, and change the city oflicense. Transmitter is south of Neenahalong Hiway 41. Runs 4 towers in lineday and 5 towers in line at night.

WHFA Poynette 1240 x-WIBU. Long time well know Polka station. CBS News even did a news clip on them. Religion now.

WHITMadison 1550 x-WWQM, WMAD NowWTUX

WHSM Hayward 910 Nostalgia

WHRY Hurley 1450 Oldies

WIAAWaupaca ??? Licensed July 1922 Sequentialcall sign.

WIAJNeenah 1340 July 1922 Sequentialcall sign. Owned by Fox River ValleyRadio Supply Co. (Quinn Brothers of Quinn TV and Appliance)

WIAOMilwaukee 833 Licensed July 22,1922 Became WSOE and then WISN. Thestation began operating with 100 watts on 360 meters. WSOE was adopted in 1924,to identify the licensee, Milwaukee School of Engineering. In 1924 theWisconsin News, Hearst Corp. newspaper in Milwaukee, began part timeprogramming for the station, and a year later took over all programming duties.The outlet increased its power to 500 watts on 1110 kc in 1927. It was acquiredby the Wisconsin News in 1928, and call letters were changed to WISN. Thelicensee has changed its name to the Milwaukee Sentinel, but letters WISNremain. Under early Federal Radio Commission, power was increased to 250 wattsand time was shared with WHAD, the Marquette U. station. In 1930 the stationincreased power to 1 kw and continued to share time with WHAD until 1934, whenit purchased the WHAD plant and facilities. The outlet was placed on itspresent 1150 kc with 5 kw in 1941.Moved to 1220 with 100 watts.

WIBAMadison 1270 Licensed March 24, 1925Owned by Capital TimesStudio.

Ran 100 watts. In1927, added the Strand Theater Corporation as co-owner.

WIBAMadison 1250 Moved here in 1928.Used the slogan “Four Lakes City”.

WIBAMadison 1280 Moved here in 1931.1934 lists WIBA as running 1000 watts day and 500 watts night, with anew owner of the Badger Broadcasting Co..

WIBA Madison 1310 1942 lists WIBA changedfrequency to here running 5000 watts.Owners were Badger Broadcasting Company. Studio located at 3800 Regent Street, with the transmitter inFitchburg (present day location).

WIBF Wheatland1300 Licensed April 1925. Ran 50watts. I don’t even know whereWheatland IS!!

WIBUPoynette 1350 July 8, 1925 Ownedby The Electric Farm. Ran 20watts. The calls stood for Wind IsBeing Used, as they were using a windmill for generating power! This frequency in now used by nearby Portagestation WPDR.

WIBUPoynette 1380 In 1927 changed to this frequency and new owners:Wisconsin State Journal. Ran 20 watts.

WIBUPoynette 1320 In 1930 changed frequency and owners. Owner was William C. Forrest.

WIBUPoynette 1210 Moved here about 1934 and was running 100 watts with anunlimited schedule.

WIBUPoynette 1230 Listed in 1942 with this change of frequency.

WIBUPoynette 1240 Now WHFA

WIBU WisconsinDells 900 x-WNNO, WDLS, WWGA 990 Thankfully the owners of this station keptthe nostalgic calls! Music of YourLife.

WIGM Medford1450 Started in 1941 by George F. Meyer.Power was 250 watts. “News Talk Radio”

WILTTomahawk 810 Now WJJQ

WISCMadison 1480 Started in 1948with 1000 watts. Owned by RadioWisconsin, Inc. Studios were at theCommercial State Bank Building and the transmitter located on Seyene Road. NowWTDA.

WISJBeloit 560 ex- WEBW Calls were listed in 1920. Owners were the Wisconsin State Journal.

WISMEau Claire 1050 Now WDVM

WISMMadison 1480 Now WTDY

WISNMilwaukee 1110 First listing ofWISN is in 1928, where it shared time with WHAD. WISN eventually bought out WHAD.

WISNMilwaukee 1120 Moved here in 1930.1934 lists WISN as 250 watts with Shared Time with WHAD. Also lists the new owner as the AmericanRadio News Corporation.

WISNMilwaukee 1150 Moved here on orbefore 1942. Assumed to be 250 watts. Transmitter was in the Town of Greenfield.Eventually upgraded to 5000 watts with a transmitter at 5001 South 60thstreet..

WISN Milwaukee 1130

WISS Berlin 1090 Country //WAUH-FM

WISZMadison 1480 Now WTDY

WIXK New Richmond 1590“Real Country”

WIZM La Crosse 1410 X- Nostalgia calls WKBH. News Talk.

WJBDAshland 1290 Licensed April1925 Ran 100 watts.

WJBROmro 1320 Licensed January 1926.Owned by Gensch & Stearns.Ran 50 watts. Upgraded to 100watts in 1927.

WJMC Rice Lake 1240 Started in 1938 with250 watts by WJMC, Inc.. Studios andtransmitter located at 1615 North Main Street.Adult Contemporary

WJOK Kaukauna1050 ex WKAU, WQWM, WGSC. Started outas a Top-40 Station in the 70’s. Chngedto country, religion then sports and is now religion again. Calls stand for Jesus Our King.

WJPGGreen Bay 810 Started in 1947with 1000 watts daytime only. Owned bythe Green Bay Newspaper Company.Transmitter was in Bellevue.

WJPG Green Bay 1440 Now WNFL

WJUB Plymouth 1420 x-WPLY Religion

WJYI Milwaukee 1340. This used to be the proud WRIT andWEMP. So many famous names came throughhere such as “Robert L” (Bob Collins), “Vic Brandon”

WKTS Sheboygan 950 Now WCLB

WKAFMilwaukee 1150 Calls stood for Wood, Kesselman, and Ford. Ran 500 watts.

WKAUKaukauna 1050 Calls forKAUkauna. Now WJOK

WKAWBeloit 1240 Licensed August 1922 Sequential call sign. Owned by Turner Cycle Co.

WKBH La Crosse 1360 Licensed August 19, 1926. Owned by Callaway Music Co. Ran 500 watts. Became WIZM.

WKBH LaCrosse 1300 Moved here in 1928.

WKBH LaCrosse 1380 Moved here in 1930. 1934 listsWKBH as running 1000 watts with an unlimited schedule. New owners listed as WKBH, Inc..

WKBH La Crosse 1410 Moved to this frequency about1942 and was running 5000 watts. Studiowas located at 409 Main Street, with the transmitter on Gillette Street. Now WIZM.

WKBH Holmen1570 Nostalgia calls moved tothis frequency. Talk/Sports

WKDRKenosha 930 Licensed August 1926.Perhaps calls stood for Kenosha Edward A. Dato, owner. Ran 15 watts.

WKLJ Sparta 1290 X-WKLJ (original call),WCOW CNN News/Talk

WKOWMadison 1070 Started in 1948with the present day 10,000 watts day and 5,000 night. Studios were at 215 West Washington Avenue. The transmitter is still in McFarland. Now WTSO.

WKSHSussex 1370 Moved to 1640 1370deleted.

WKSH Sussex 1640 Calls moved here in1999.

WKTSSheboygan 950 Now WCLB

WKTY La Crosse 580 Started in 1948 with 1000 watts. Owned by the La Crosse BroadcastingCorp.. Studio was located at 112 North4th Street, and the transmitter was located on Stoddard Road, 4miles south of La Crosse. Present dayformat is Sports.

WLBLStevens Point 1080 Licensed May 1924.Also see WPAH. Calls stand forLand of Beautiful Lakes. Ran 500 watts.

WLBL StevensPoint 940 Moved here in 1927 with 1000 watts.

WLBLStevens Point 900 Moved with WHA here in 1928. Upgraded to 2500 watts (daytime only) around 1934. Transmitter location listed near Ellis.

WLBLStevens Point 930 First listed on the frequency in 1942.

WLBL Auburndale 930 “Wisconsin Public Radio”

WLCX LaCrosse 1490 Started in 1947 with 250watts. Owned by Bermac Radio, Inc..Studio was located in the State Bank Building with the transmitter on LangDrive. Now WLFN.

WLDL LaCrosse 1490 Now WLFN

WLDY Ladysmith 1340 Started in 1948 with250 watts. Owned by (and still is!!!)the Flambeau Broadcasting Company.Studio and transmitter were located on Westlake Avenue. Presently running Nostalgia Music of YourLife.

WLFN La Crosse 1490 x-WLCX, WLXR, WLDL Nostalgia

WLINMerrill 550 Started in 1948 byAlvin O’Konski. Ran 1000 watts. This eventually was moved to Wausau andbecame WSAU.

WLIP Kenosha 1050 Started in 1947. Founded by William LIPman.250 watts non-directional.

WLKDWaupun 1170 Now WMRH

WLKD Minoqua 1570 x-WFBZ, WMQANostalgia

WLKEWaupun 1170 Now WMRH

WLKEOshkosh 690 Took calls from 1170 when 1170 went to WLKD. Now WVCY-AM. Known as “The Lake”.

WLUM- AM West Allis 1590 See WAWA

WLXR LaCrosse 1490 Now WLFN

WLZRMilwaukee 1340 Simulcast 102.9 WLZR for a couple of years. Presently WJYI.

WLZZGreenfield 1290 One of the manycalls of 1290. Presently WMCS.

WMAD Madison 1550 Now WTUX

WMAM Marinette 570 Started in 1939 by M &M Broadcasting, Inc..

WMAWMilwaukee 1250 Started in 1947with 5000 watts by Midwest Broadcasting Company. Studios were at 723 North Third Street. Transmitter at the current location on Grange in HalesCorners. The original calls for the1250 station. Became WEMP.

WMBE Chilton 1530 x-Country Now Sports

WMCS Greenfield 1290 x-WMIL, WZUU, WLZZ, WMVPThis signal has seen it all. Ispresently a very well run R&B station that broadcasts in stereo.

WMEQ Menomonee 880 “News Talk 8-80”

WMILGreenfield 1290 Now WMCS

WMIN Hudson740 x-WDEY, WMIN, WRPX Presently Sports

WMIRLake Geneva 1550 x-WAUX Now WZRK

WMKEMilwaukee 1340 Now WJYI

WMQA Minoqua 1570 Now WLKD

WMRH Waupun 1170 x- WLKE, WLKD, WGZSNostalgia. Spanish on weekends.

WMVPGreenfield 1290 PresentlyWMCS. They had these calls until AM1000 in Chicago turned to all sports, and bought the call sign from them.

WMYM Rice Lake 1090 Now WAQE

WNAM Neenah 1280 Started in 1947 with 1000 watts by Neenah-MenashaBroadcasting. Studios were in theNeenah National Manufacturers Bank building.x-Top 40. Now Nostalgia. Broadcasts in Stereo

WNBI Park Falls 980 Nostalgia

WNBVBaraboo 1500 Listed as atemporary license. Young Men'sChristian Association, "operate one night 5/28/27".

WNFL Green Bay 1440 x- WJPG Calls for Home of the NFL Champs, Green BayPackers. Sports

WNNO WisconsinDells 900 Now WIBU

WNOV Milwaukee860 Calls stand for Wisconsin’s NegroesOnly Voice, and was related to Chicago’s WVON (Voice of the Negro). X-WFOX.Transmitter used to be on top of 205 East Wisconsin Avenue. The base structure is still there. A building (100 East Wisconsin) went up nextto the tower, hampering its signal.There were lawsuits of discrimination etc. WNOV moved their transmitter just off of Fond du Lac Avenue. Their signal does very well for a 250(daytime) Station!.

WNWC Sun Prairie 1190 x-WERU Religion Ownedby Northwestern College. CP for signalupgrade including night time operation.

WOARKenosha 833 Licensed November 1922.Reissued November 1923. Owned byHenry P. Lundskow.

WOBT Rhinelander 1240 Started in 1947 with 250 watts by OneidaBroadcasting. Presently Sports Radio12-40

WOCO Oconto 1260 Country

WOGO Hallie 680 Sports

WOKL EauClaire 1050 Now WDVM

WOKY Milwaukee 920 SOOO Much historyhere. Stay tuned, I will get toit! Started out as WEXT 1430. On September 5, 1950 the WOKY calls came about with a change offrequency (920) and location to 75th and Edgerton with 1kw and threetowers. Known as “Mighty 92”.

WOMTManitowoc 1350 Licensed November 18, 1926. Calls stood for the Mikadow Theatre which is where the stationwas located. Ran 50 watts.

WOMTManitowoc 1210 Moved here in 1934 and was running 100 watts with anunlimited schedule.

WOMT Manitowoc 1240 1942 list this change offrequency. Present dial location ofWOMT.

WOSH Oshkosh1490 Started in 1941 with 250 watts by Oshkosh Broadcasting. Transmitter remains at 1235 Bowen. x-WOSH (original calls), WYTL Was top-40 with WOSH calls. Country under WYTL. News Talk now.

WPAHWaupaca 833 Licensed December 1922.Became WLBL. With a 500 watttransmitter at Waupaca, WPAH began operation Feb. 5, 1922 on 485 meters. Thestation was established by the Wisconsin State Dept. of Markets, to broadcastagricultural information to farmers. In 1924, the outlet was moved to StevensPoint and call letters were changed to WLBL. In 1937, the station installed a 5kw transmitter near Auburndale and began operating on 930 kc. Studios weremoved to the Central State Teachers College campus that same year. In 1951station operation was transferred to the Wisconsin State Radio Council, astatutory body charged with providing statewide educational broadcasting.

WPDR Portage 1350 Country

WPLYPlymouth 1420 Now WJUB

WPRE Prairie du Chien 980 Oldies “Cruisin9-80”

WPVL Platteville 1590 x-WTOQ, WWSW Oldies

WQTC TwoRivers 1590 Now WTRW

WQWMKaukauna 1050 Now WJOK

WRACRacine 1460 Started in 1950 with500 watts daytime only. Run by BellCity Broadcasting. Studio listed as 423Main Street. Now WBJX

WRAL StCroix Falls 1210 Licensed March1923. Sequential call sign. Owned by Northern States Power Co.. 100 watts.

WRCO RichlandCenter 1450 Started in 1949 with 250 wattsby Richland Broadcasting Company. Nowknown as “1450 Oldies “.

WRDB Reedsburg 1400 Talk

WRDN Durand 1430 Oldies

WRFW EauClaire 1050 Started in 1948 by theChippewa Valley Radio and Television Corp.Ran 1000 watts daytime only. Studioand transmitter were at Rudolph Road.Presently WDVM.

WRIGWausau 1400 Moved to 1390 andchanged city of license to Schofield.

WRIG Schofield 1390 x-WRIG Wausau1400. Nostalgia

WRITMilwaukee 1340 Top-40 in the60’s and 70’s Changed to all news in1972. Now WJYI

WRJC Mauston 1270 Talk.

WRJNRacine 1210 ex-WRRS. Calls firstlisted in 1928. Calls stand for RacineJournal-News.

WRJNRacine 1370 Moved here in 1930.In 1934 WRJN is listed as running 100 watts unlimited schedule. Owner listed as the Racine BroadcastingCorporation.

WRJN Racine 1400 First listed on thisfrequency in 1942. Studio listed as 441Main Street, with the transmitter at Vistory and Kentucky Streets. Present dial location of station.

WRJQ Appleton 1570 x-WAPL, WVMS Changeof calls coming soon to WSCO. Polka,nostalgia

WRKRRacine 1460 Rocker in the70’s. Simulcast with 100.7. Now WBJX.

WRPN Ripon1600 x-WCWC

WRPXHudson 740 Now WMIN

WRRD Jackson 540 “The Word” X-WYLO, WZER

WRRSRacine 930 Licensed December 6, 1926 Became WRJN. Calls stood for Racine Radio Station. Ran 50 watts.

WRTR TwoRivers 1590 Now WTRW

WSAM Milton ??? March 20, 1923 Listed as atemporary license. For Milton College (A G Sayre).

WSAUWausau 1400 Established in 1937by the Journal Company, the same company that owned WTMJ and The MilwaukeeJournal. Listed as 250 watts with atransmitter at Coates Lane. BecameWRIG. Calls eventually moved to 550.

WSAU Wausau 550 News/Talk

WSBRSuperior 1490 Established around1948. Eventually became the presentKQDS in Duluth, MN

WSOEMilwaukee 1220 Milwaukee School of Engineering. Ex- WIAO.Ran 100 watts. Upgraded to 500watts in 1926. Became WISN. WSOE was adopted in 1924, to identify thelicensee, Milwaukee School of Engineering. In 1924 the Wisconsin News, HearstCorp. newspaper in Milwaukee, began part time programming for the station, anda year later took over all programming duties. The outlet increased its powerto 500 watts on 1110 kc in 1927. It was acquired by the Wisconsin News in 1928,and call letters were changed to WISN. The licensee has changed its name to theMilwaukee Sentinel, but letters WISN remain. Under early Federal RadioCommission, power was increased to 250 watts and time was shared with WHAD, theMarquette U. station. In 1930 the station increased power to 1 kw and continuedto share time with WHAD until 1934, when it purchased the WHAD plant andfacilities.

WSPOStevens Point 1010 Now WSPT

WSPT Steven Point 1010 x- WTWT, WXYQ, WSPOSports

WSWWPlatteville 1590 Now WPVL

WTAQOsseo 1180 Licensed September 4, 1923.Became WGEE (calls are now in Green Bay. So were WTAQ calls at one time.) Owned by S. H. Van Gorden & Son. 100 watts. Upgraded to500 watts in 1927.

WTAQ EauClaire 1330 In 1930 Changed City of License, Frequency and Owners. Owners were the Gillette Rubber Co. Used the slogan “The Voice of theWilderness”. 1934 lists WTAQ as running1000watts daytime, and at night shared time with KSCJ Sioux City, IA. Transmitter listed as being in the Townshipof Washington

WTAQGreen Bay 1360 Established in 1940.Moved from Eau Claire. PresentlyWGEE.

WTCH Shawano 960 Started in 1948 with 1000watts daytime only by the Shawano County Leader Publication Company. Studios were listed as 107 East Green BayStreet. Country

WTDA Madison1480 Soon to be silenced since thisstation received an X-Band allotment of 1670 (WTDY) x- WISC, WISZ, WISM, WTDY

WTDAMadison 1670 Changed to WTDY

WTDYMadison 1480 Changed to WTDA when 1670 came on air.

WTDY Madison 1670 See WTDY 1480.

WTKM Hartford 1540 Polka/Country

WTMB Tomah 1460 Nostalgia

WTMJMilwaukee 1020 First on the air in 1927, though seems to have originatedfrom WCAY. Owned by the MilwaukeeJournal. Ran 500 watts.

WTMJBrookfield 1020 1928 the city of license was Brookfield. WHAD no longer on frequency.

WTMJ Brookfield 620 Studios listed asMilwaukee. This frequency first listedin 1930.

WTMJ Milwaukee620 In 1934 WTMJ is listed with powers of 2500 day and 1000 night. WTMJ was the reason for the firstdirectional transmitting array. In 1932WFLA in Florida was interfering with WTMJ so the FCC require WFLA to install adirectional antenna system to push their signal away from WTMJ. Upgraded to 5kW day and night. And in 1998 upgraded to a new transmittersite with 50kW days using 4 towers and 10kW nights using six towers. Present location is south and west ofRacine.

WTOQPlatteville 1590 Now WPVL

WTRW Two Rivers 1590 x-WRTR WQTC “Oldies15-90”

WTSO Madison 1070 Used to be country, then nostalgia, now ESPN 10-7-0 x-WKOW

WTTN Watertown 1580 Started in 1950 with250 watts daytime only by Watertown Broadcasting. Studios were at 104 West Main Street. Presently Country.

WTUX Madison 1550 x-WHIT, WWQM, WMADNostalgia

WTWT Stevens Point 1010Started in 1948 with 250 watts daytime only by Stevens PointBroadcasting. Studios were at 414 MainStreet and the transmitter was 2 blocks north of Stevens Pint City limits. Now WSPT.

WVCY-AM Oshkosh 690ex- WAGO, WCKK, WLKE

WVMSAppleton 1570 Now WRJQ

WVRQ Viroqua 1360 Oldies “Vintage VRQ”

WWEGRacine 1460 Now WBJX

WWGAWisconsin Dells 990 Moved to 900 and Changed calls to WNNO.

WWIS Black River Falls 1260 Country

WWOCManitowoc 980 Now WCUB

WWQMMadison 1550 x-WMAD Now WTUX

WXCE Amery 1260 Sports

WXCO Wausau 1230 Sports ESPN 12-30

WXMTMerrill 730 Now WJMT

WXOLOshkosh 690 Calls stood foreXcellentOLdies. Now WVCY-AM

WXYQStevens Point 1010 Now WSPT

WYLO Jackson 540 “Way Low” Now WRRD

WYNE Appleton 1150 Signed on in 6-30-1970 as WYNE 1150. Later known as “Y-1-15. Was a rocker in the 70’s with 1KW daytimeand two towers in the town of Menasha.The towers are still there. Wentcountry for a while as well. WHBY bought the signal, and upgraded it to 5kWunlimited with 5 towers located right along HiWay 41 south of Neenah.

WYTLOshkosh 1490 Was country.“WITTLE” Now WOSH.

WZERJackson 540 Now WRRD

WZRK Lake Geneva 1550 x-WMIR, WAUX Not on air yet.

WZUUMilwaukee 1290 Simulcast 95.7when the stations were co-owned.Jonathan Green of WTMJ fame work here, as well as Larry “The Legend”Johnson.. Known as the “Zoo”. Now WMCS.

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

Pre-1920stations.

CMMilwaukee 900 Meters A commercialstation listed in 1912. Assumed to be aspark gap transmitter running 7500 watts.

MBWisconsin ??? Listed in 1906. Owned by Slaby-Arco, and also ran Slaby-Arco equipment. Appears to be the ship “Wisconsin”.

MKMilwaukee Variable A commercialstation assumed running spark gap with 5000 watts. Listed in 1912.

MWManitowoc Variable A commercialstation assumed running spark gap at 2000 watts.

PAWaupaca Variable A commercialstation assumed running spark gap at 2000 watts. Listed in 1912.

SC Scandinavia ??? A commercial station assumed running spark gap at 1000watts. Listed in 1912.

XMH Milwaukee 1400 meters Listed 1910. Assumed spark gap station.

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

The Broadcast Archive

United States Early Radio History.

Department of the Navy

DX-MidAMerica.com

Al Hajny

John Rieger

FCC

Surfing the Aether – www.northwinds.net/bchris

<![if !supportEmptyParas]><![endif]>

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Merrill Bechtelar CPA

Last Updated: 02/27/2023

Views: 5713

Rating: 5 / 5 (50 voted)

Reviews: 81% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Merrill Bechtelar CPA

Birthday: 1996-05-19

Address: Apt. 114 873 White Lodge, Libbyfurt, CA 93006

Phone: +5983010455207

Job: Legacy Representative

Hobby: Blacksmithing, Urban exploration, Sudoku, Slacklining, Creative writing, Community, Letterboxing

Introduction: My name is Merrill Bechtelar CPA, I am a clean, agreeable, glorious, magnificent, witty, enchanting, comfortable person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.